I was contacted by OMG Nail Strips and invited to pick out a set to try. My previous track record with nail strips hasn’t been very good! I like using them for nail art, but because my nail beds are so small, I often have trouble getting a good fit. Since most nail polish strips are much too big for me, I have to spend time trimming them, which often leads to screwing them up royally.
I choose the crows design since I love birds. Looking back, this was probably not the best choice for my tiny nails, because the birds seem a bit sporadic. At the same time, I will probably be able to get three more wears out of these strips, because at times, I used two strips on one nail (a perk of short nails I guess).
OMG Nail Polish strips are very affordable and come in a bunch of cute designs. Right now, they are 4 pairs for $20 on the website, which is a great price considering Sally Hansen polish strips run in the $8-$10 range, and Essie’s strips are $10. You can also get a ten pack of OMG polish strips for $45.
- Soak your hands in warm water for 5 minutes. Dry hands, then gently push back cuticles. Carefully remove any excess skin around the nail bed.
- Moisturize your hands with lotion, and wait 1 minute.
- Using a Q-tip, remove any leftover lotion from the nail bed, paying special attention to the sidewalls, cuticle area and tip of the fingernail.
- Select the appropriate sized nail strip for each nail to ensure the nail will be covered from sidewall to sidewall. Using a nail strip that is too large for a particular nail is not recommended; rather, trim the strip the scissors to the appropriate width.
- Peel off the clear coating, and then carefully remove the nail polish strip from the sticker backing,
- Start by placing whichever end on the nail strip that works better for your nails at the cuticle and apply it by smoother the strip towards the tip and your nail, smoothing out and bumps and ensuring the strip is tucked neatly into the sidewalls.
- File away any excess nail strip by holding your nail file parallel to the surface you are working on, as filing the nail perpendicularly will cause tearing along the tip.
- After you have applied all ten polish strips, take a cotton ball the has been dipped in polish removed with the excess remover wrung out, and swipe each nail 1-3 times, paying special attention to the sidewalls, tips and cuticle area. This step is especially important, as it melts the strip to your nails, allowing for longer lasting wear.
- Apply a finishing topcoat, and wait 5 minutes for it to dry completely.
What I loved about these is that it is very easy to get them to fit on the nail. At the time, I don’t think these looked so great on my nails due to their unevenness in the growing out stage. That said, I LOVE this design and I love the strips too. The nice thing is that even if I had a hard time getting the strip onto the nail, I was able to easily place it again without ruining the nail polish strip. They are easy to pull and stretch for how you want to use them, which is for me, the biggest selling point of these strips!
I did not wear these for the full 14 days that they claim to last, because I just like changing up my polish too much. I did wear these for five days with no chipping or peeling, and I also followed the directions (which I am notorious for not doing). They were also super easy to remove and didn’t damage my nails. I still have some left, so I will probably work these into some other manicures!
Where to find OMG nail strips:
OMG Nail Strips website
OMG Nail Strips on Facebook
*Product sent for consideration. All opinions are my own.